It is important to keep the WordPress site secure. Here are some tips to bear in mind in maintaining the security of the WordPress site:
- Always keep the WordPress, Themes and Plugins, up to date.
- Always backup your WordPress, Contents and database files.
- Install some security plugins on your WordPress website: Such as:
- Limit Login Attempts plugin to prevent brute force attacks. “A Brute Force Attack is a type of Cyber Attack, where you have a software spinning up different characters to create a possible password combination. The Brute Force Attack password cracker software simply uses all possible combinations to figure out passwords for a computer or a network server.”
- Google Authenticator plugin, it will add another field to your login to your website that is shown on your smart phone. This will add a security to your website in a way that in addition to your username and password, the hacker needs to have access to your smart phone as well. The Google Authenticator plugin for WordPress gives you two-factor authentication using the Google Authenticator app for Android/iPhone/Blackberry.
- Register your site with the webmaster tools such as google and bing webmaster tools.
- Backup your site contents, configuration and database files.
- Install Akismet to control the spam comments on your site.