So far, we have introduced and reviewed several software packages for network monitoring in our posts. In this post, we are going to discuss another powerful software package: Veeam ONE.
Veeam ONE, part of Veeam Availability Suite, provides comprehensive monitoring and analytics for your backup, virtual and physical environments. Veeam ONE enables real-time monitoring, business documentation and management reporting for Veeam Backup & Replication, VMware vSphere and Microsoft Hyper-V.
Veeam ONE incorporates the following software components:
- Veeam ONE Monitor: It is primary tool used for monitoring the virtual environment and Veeam Backup & Replication infrastructure. In the Veeam ONE Monitor console, you can manage, view and interact with alarms and monitoring data, analyze performance of virtual and backup infrastructure components, track the efficiency of data protection operations, troubleshoot issues, generate reports and administer monitoring settings.
- Veeam ONE Reporter: It provides a set of dashboards and reports that allow you to verify configuration issues, optimize resource allocation and utilization, track implemented changes, plan capacity growth and track whether mission-critical workloads are properly protected in the virtualized datacenter.
Veeam ONE Features
Here we look at the main features of this software:
- Proactive Alerting and Reporting: Stay alert and mitigate potential issues before they become threats to your environment with 340+ preset alarms and 150+ pre-built reports.
- Heatmaps: Be prepared to troubleshoot quickly by maintaining clear visibility into the resource utilization of your backup infrastructure.
- Intelligent Diagnostics: Veeam proactively identifies known issues within your environment, alerting you with self-support reconfigurations and hotfixes.
- Capacity Planning: Easily forecast resource usage and utilization trends for VMware, Hyper-V and backup environments to determine when resources/computing will max out.
- Backup Compliance Reporting: Remain compliant by grouping objects by location with Business View and using reports that list data sources grouped by production location, as well as the location of copies/replicas.
- Identify Every Unprotected VM and Agent: Reduce downtime and data loss by determining which VMs, physical servers and workstations are protected.
- Nutanix AHV Backups: Remain Make informed decisions with data protection monitoring, reporting and alerts for Nutanix AHV VMs.
- Remediation Actions: Eliminate the need for manual responses to alarms by setting automated, self-healing, policy-based fixes for common backup and infrastructure-related problems that trigger automatic changes or approvals of actions.
- Chargeback and Billing: Save time by calculating the cost of compute and storage resource consumption by department/customer and then bill accordingly.
- Stop Ransomware in its Tracks: Veeam helps combat malware with a series of alarms that help identify abnormalities occurring in your environment.
- NAS Backups: Maintain real-time visibility while tracking file share protection, performance and more with monitoring and reporting for NAS backups.
- Business View: Categorize diverse workloads by creating groups based on business unit, geography, department and more.
- Agents: Reduce the complexities of managing physical and cloud computer backups with agent monitoring and reporting.
- Raw Data Analysis and Report Customization: Easily access performance data and custom infrastructure reports for vSphere, Hyper-V and backup environments, including CPU, memory, and network and disk metrics.
- Multi-tenant: Service providers get clear visibility into customer activity and consumption, including chargeback and billing functionality, with multi-tenant monitoring and reporting.
(Source of this section: veeam.com)
Veaam ONE supports these platforms:
- VMware: vSphere 5.5 and 6.x
- Microsoft Hyper-V: Windows server 2008 R2 SP1 and later
- Veaam: Backup & Replication 9.0 Update 2 and later
Also it can be installed on these hosts:
- vSphere Hypervisor (FREE ESXi)
- ESXi 5.5 and later
- Windows server 2008 R2 SP1 and later
- Veeam Backup & Replication server
- Veeam Backup Enterprise Manager
Finally, Veaam ONE is compatible with:
- vCenter Server 5.5 and later
- vCloud Director 9.0, 9.1, 9.5, 9.7
- Microsoft System Center Virtual Machine Manager 2008 R2 SP1 and later
Data Protection Monitoring
With Veeam ONE Monitor, you can:
- Analyze Veeam Backup & Replication logs to find potential issues.
- Monitor the overall state of the backup infrastructure.
- View triggered alarms.
- Track the status of your backup, replication, SureBackup, backup copy, SQL database transaction log backup, Oracle database backup jobs, backup to tape, file to tape, VM copy and file copy jobs.
- Track CPU, memory, disk and network performance for backup servers, proxies, repositories and WAN accelerators to make sure the backup data flow is efficient, and all resources engaged in the backup process are optimally used.
- View the list of events.
Veeam Intelligent Diagnostics Process
This process involves the following components:
- Signatures: problem definitions that are based on common issues investigated by Veeam Support. Signatures are stored in Veeam ONE database and displayed as Intelligent Diagnostics alarms in the Alarm
- Veeam ONE agent: a component that enables communication with Veeam Backup & Replication servers, performs collection of logs, and sends remediation commands.
Veeam ONE agent can work in two modes: Server and Client.