You know that firewalls exist in both as software and as hardware devices. Each has its advantages and disadvantages. In general, the use of software firewalls for home use, personal use and small businesses is recommended, as well as the use of hardware firewalls for medium and large businesses.
To read: All things about firewall
To study: Hardware firewalls
The subject of this post is the introduction and review of some of the most powerful and best software firewalls. We consider these products:
Types of Firewall Software
Firewall software can be built for a variety of deployment options:
- Hardware: Some firewall solutions will have this functionality available as an offering.
- Endpoints and Software: This type firewalls will protect user devices and applications from malware and hackers. These are some of the most common firewalls available.
- Virtual: Many firewall solutions can adapt to a range of virtualized environments.
Source: This section is abbreviated from g2.com
Firewall Software Features
- Access Control: Access and authentication rules only allow authorized users to enter the network, and from there, they are restricted to whatever servers and websites are not filtered out.
- Custom Restriction: Network administrators have the ability to dictate what websites and servers users on the network are allowed to access. This can be set strictly to block non-business-related websites, but it can also be used to block servers or IP addresses of known or potential threats.
- Alerting: If an unauthorized access attempt occurs, firewall solutions will send an alert to network admins detailing the breach.
- Automation: Firewall solutions can automate monitoring tasks and rule-testing, leaving time for administrators to focus on more pressing network issues and tasks.
- Reporting: Reporting can be an incredibly helpful component to a company’s security practices. Some tools will document all kinds of historical data, from logins and access points to penetration attempts and security failures, but others provide little documentation for a network’s security history. If a business has a dedicated security staff, consider getting the tightest security for sensitive data, and invest in a solution with in-depth reporting features that provide insight on vulnerability points, event outcomes, and unapproved access attempts.
- Integration Capabilities: Various integrations and plugins can provide a vast array of needed functions, from device support and content filtering to data integration and dashboards. Other tools may help security staff build custom dashboards to improve monitoring and reporting. Content filtering is another integration that can prevent users from accessing unapproved websites or visiting dangerous links hidden in emails.
Source: This section is abbreviated from g2.com
This software firewall protects your PC against all Internet threats with Enterprise-Grade technology. It checks that all network traffic in and out of your computer is legitimate. It stealths your computer’s ports against hackers and it blocks malicious software from transmitting your confidential data over the internet.
This firewall has following features and capabilities:
- Updating users on suspicious files, folders and programs
- Learning your computer habits so it does not interfere with your work
- Utilizing preventative technology and scans to locate viruses and other malware
- Deny protection” feature which works with executable files to make sure they are safe
- User-friendly, attractive graphical interface
- DDP- based security keeps you informed and PCs safe
- No complex configuration Issues
- Quickly learning user behavior to deliver personalized protection
- Lots of configuration options let techies configure things just as they like
This home firewall is available for only Windows operating system.
Source: At least 90% of all the content you see is copied and pasted from various pages of Comodo- Official website here. Includes titles, descriptions, slogans and claims.
This old firewall Protects your computer against inbound and outbound cyber-attacks, blocks unwanted traffic and control program access to the internet, secures web browsing and finally it hides invisible you to hackers and guards your personal data.
There are two ZoneAlarm firewall:
ZoneAlarm firewall has these features and capabilities:
- WiFi PC Protection: It monitors programs for suspicious behavior and shields you from hackers, identity thieves, and other online threats when you connect to an unsecured network.
- Traffic Monitoring: Two-way firewall monitors the traffic entering and exiting your computer network, making your PC invisible to hackers and stopping spyware from exposing your data to the internet.
- Early Boot Protection: With Early Boot Protection, your PC can detect whether it’s running a trusted operating system or a dangerous rootkit, hence protecting your computer.
- Identity Protection: It helps prevent identity theft by guarding your personal data.
- Safe Search: Zonealarm’s Safe Search engine lets you know which sites are safe to enter and which to avoid.
- Anti-Phishing: It protects your private information from phishing attacks while you browse online.
- Safe Document Download: It Uses Zero-Day Protection to remove potentially malicious features from file downloads, such as macros, embedded objects, and other malicious content.
Pro version has additional features and capabilities:
- Advanced-Access Protection: This firewall targets and defeats new and advanced attacks that other firewalls miss, such as raw data access, timing, and SCM & COM.
- Advanced Settings Control: It allows you to classify your home as a private zone and untrusted networks as public zones.
- Component Control: It protects against tricks that malicious software can use to bypass personal firewall as it loads potentially malicious DLLs into a trusted application, bypassing application control and accessing the network freely.
- Expert Rules: It allows you to control and configure the firewall to get maximum security.
- No ads
ZoneAlarm firewall is available for only Windows. Also, this firewall is only compatible with MS Windows Defender, and is not compatible with any other anti-malware software and so first you must uninstall other anti-malware.
Source: At least 90% of all the content you see is copied and pasted from various pages of ZoneAlarm official website here. Includes titles, descriptions, slogans and claims.
In fact, this firewall is a module of SolarWinds Security Event Manager (SEM).
- This firewall allows IT teams to more quickly identify anomalous activities, like when a connection is denied by firewall rules, or intrusion activity like port scans. Additionally, admins have the option to work with either preconfigured rules or set customized ones, so they can perform effective intrusion detection with more flexibility. These rules can help IT teams identify relationships between unrelated events like user login failures or denied traffic counts.
- This firewall helps ensure that only authorized firewall administrators can make changes to any firewall policies that have been set. In addition, users can automate configuration change management across multi-vendor devices without the need for complex scripting and CLI commands. Also, administrators can fix failed configuration changes and eliminate downtime with the aid of side-by-side comparisons.
- Users can create custom filters that highlight specific firewall events, according to default or custom criteria. Administrators can use connector profiles and other groups to broaden or refine the scope of the custom filters they set.
Source: At least 90% of all the content you see is copied and pasted from various pages of Solarwinds official website here. Includes titles, descriptions, slogans and claims.
System Mechanic Ultimate Defense is the total package for all your security, privacy, and performance needs, now in one convenient interface.
System Mechanic Ultimate Defense builds on the PC performance foundation of System Mechanic, adds the real-time AV and data protection features of System Mechanic Pro, plus secures your web browsing, manages passwords and credit cards, and removes malware on demand.
System Mechanic Ultimate Defense has these features and capabilities:
- Optimize PC performance
- Protect online privacy
- Securely manage passwords
- Remove malware
- Block malware
- Permanently Erase Sensitive Data
- Recover deleted files
- Safeguard Passwords and Credit Cards
- Prevent Windows Slowdown
Source: At least 90% of all the content you see is copied and pasted from of iolo official website here. Includes titles, descriptions, slogans and claims.
This firewall is free, lightweight and non-intrusive. It’s available for only Windows.
- TinyWall does not annoy you with popups at all, yet it is still extremely easy to add exceptions to your firewall rules.
- TinyWall actively blocks hundreds of Trojans, viruses and worms.
- TinyWall does not require you to know about ports, protocols and application details.
- TinyWall prevents malicious programs from modifying the settings of Windows Firewall.
- TinyWall does not install drivers or other kernel components, is free and lightweight.
This firewall also has these features and capabilities:
- Multiple and easy ways to whitelist programs
- Automatic learning mode
- Firewall tampering protection
- Password lockdown of settings
- Windows Store & UWP support
- Support for both WSL and WSL 2
- Support for whitelisting processes from network shares
- Various quick-modes, like standard, only-outgoing, block all, etc.
- Support for temporary/timed firewall rules
- Integrated port and domain blocklists
- Hosts file protection
- Boot-time filtering
- Filtering of promiscuous apps
- Port-scan prevention
- Option to always allow communication within LAN
- Option to restrict an application to the LAN
- Recognition of safe software and impostors
- Full IPv6 support
- Can list established and blocked connections
- Can list open ports on your machine
- No telemtery, no data collection
- 100% free and clean software. No fees, no ads, no paid upgrades
Source: At least 90% of all the content you see is copied and pasted from of pados official website here. Includes titles, descriptions, slogans and claims.
GlassWire is a free network monitor & security tool with a built in firewall. It’s available for Windows and Android.
This firewall detects spyware, malware, badly behaving apps, and bandwidth hogs, then block their connections.
GlassWire warns you of network related changes to your PC, or unusual changes to your apps that could indicate malware.
This firewall monitor other PCs on your network and get alerted when new unknown devices join your WiFi.
This firewall has not comprehensive malware detection and perfect network intrusion detection does not exist.
GlassWire has these features and capabilities:
- You can use GlassWire’s simple to use interface to view all your past and present network activity on a graph.
- GlassWire adds extra Internet security to your computer or server by visualizing all past and present network data in an easy to understand graph. Instantly see every application or process communicating over the Internet, then dive in deeper to see who or what your computer is communicating with. Whenever anything new on your computer accesses the network GlassWire lets you know with a discreet alert that won’t interrupt your workflow or server.
- This firewall has a toolbox of network security checks like system file change detection, device list change detection, app info change detection, ARP spoofing monitoring. This software also alerts you if your computer or server is communicating with a known IP or domain threat.
- GlassWire is an easy to use tool that can see your past and present network activity. Use the sliders to go back in time and analyze past network activity on the graph.
- By Glasswire you can check your bandwidth usage by day, week, and month in detail with resolved hosts.
- You can stop receiving alerts for 24 hours.
- You can disable security alerts in the settings, or just disable alerts in the main settings window. If security alerts aren’t your thing you can disable them all and just use GlassWire as a network monitor.
- Keeping track of your daily, weekly, or monthly bandwidth usage is easy with GlassWire.
- GlassWire only keeps track of bandwidth for the computer and server it’s installed on and not total bandwidth usage on your network.
- GlassWire installs easily on servers so you can monitor their network activity on your local computer via our remote access feature.
- The person with an RDP connection to your PC can see your desktop and everything you’re doing in real time. GlassWire detects new RDP connections and will let you know any time an RDP connection occurs.
- Get alerted when new WiFi hardware appears nearby with your same network name, and also get alerted if your WiFi network suddenly loses its password.
- When you visit a website click the graph to see every server that your computer communicated with while that web page loaded. Visit a popular website with GlassWire running and you’ll be shocked to see how many different hosts are communicating with your computer for just one site. Every time a new application accesses the Internet GlassWire will alert you. You can then use GlassWire’s firewall to block the application.
- GlassWire’s graph also shows when your computer is in use or idle. Keep track of major network activity when you were away from your computer and try to find out if that means something is wrong or if it’s normal behavior.
- By GlassWire you can see a list of devices on the network and get alerted when devices join or leave with new network device list feature.
Source: At least 90% of all the content you see is copied and pasted from of glasswire official website here. Includes titles, descriptions, slogans and claims.
Also you can get it from Google Play Store.
This firewall is a software appliance that it must be installed on a VM. This firewall usually used for Internet access management.
This firewall has these features and capabilities:
- Configuring your firewall with easy-to-use traffic rules, controlling in- and outbound communications by URL, application, traffic type and more.
- Intrusion detection and prevention using the Snort system constantly monitors inbound and outbound network communications for suspicious activity. You can log or block the communications.
- Preventing viruses, worms, Trojans and spyware from entering your network. Kerio Control scans network traffic for potential attacks.
- By kerio, you can create secure, high-performance server-to-server connections between your offices.
- You can create a secure VPN connection to a remote office that doesn’t have Kerio Control deployed, using industry-standard VPN protocols.
- Prioritizing and monitoring network traffic to guarantee high-speed transmission for most important traffic types.
- Kerio Control brings together next-generation firewall capabilities — including a network firewall and router, intrusion detection and prevention (IPS), gateway anti-virus, VPN, and web content and application filtering.
- View individual users’ Internet activity, refine traffic-shaping rules and more with automatic, detailed reports from Kerio Control Statistics sent to your email inbox.
- Use insights from reporting to limit legal liability and improve productivity by blocking access to sites, applications and content categories or limiting it to specific time of day, users/user groups and user locations.
- Distributing Internet traffic across multiple links with Internet Link load balancing, automatically disabling and re-enabling links to ensure continuous Internet access.
- Kerio Control works comfortably in your existing IT environment — whatever your needs. Choose the approach that best fits with your existing IT processes, infrastructure and organization.
- Protecting network from bandwidth-hogging web and application traffic such as streaming video or by blocking peer-to-peer networks.
- Managing or blocking access to 100+ continuously updated categories of content and applications with the optional Kerio Control Web Filter w/ application awareness.
- Easily prioritize and monitor network traffic to guarantee high-speed transmission for the most important traffic types. Internet Link Load Balancing optimizes Internet access by distributing traffic across multiple links.
- With high-availability, if a crash or failure occurs your second Kerio Control machine jumps into action. Users see no drop of service. You have no vulnerability exposure.
- Managing users and bandwidth, and set policies from a customizable web-based interface on your desktop or mobile device.
- Managing multiple Kerio Control deployments through a centralized web interface.
Source: At least 90% of all the content you see is copied and pasted from of kerio official website here. Includes titles, descriptions, slogans and claims.